If you're feeling overwhelmed by anxiety, your family practice physician, Dr. Joseph Gorz of Neighborhood Primary Care in Lake Orion MI can help. Whether anxiety has always been an issue or you've recently begun feeling anxious, it's important to share your concerns with a healthcare professional.
Do you have any of these anxiety symptoms?
Nearly everyone suffers from anxiety from time to time. When you're about to make a speech, compete in a race, or interact with your difficult co-worker, it's only natural to feel your heart race or notice that your hands feel a little sweaty. In these cases, anxiety usually goes away fairly quickly.
Unfortunately, anxiety can become more than a passing problem in some cases. You may be experiencing anxiety if you notice any of these symptoms:
- You constantly feel on edge or restless.
- You startle easily.
- Concentrating at work or school is difficult.
- You experience physical symptoms, such as rapid breathing, sweating, headaches, nausea, or higher-than-normal blood pressure.
- You constantly worry and obsess about bad things that could happen.
- You feel irritable.
- Relaxation has become impossible.
- You have less energy lately.
- You can't fall asleep easily or wake up in the middle of the night often.
What can be done about anxiety?
Exercise and stress-reducing activities, such as yoga or meditation, may help you keep your anxiety under control. Do you know why you are feeling stressed? If you're worried about completing a big project at work, asking for help or improving your time management skills may help. When you're stressed about caring for an ill relative, talking to a concerned friend about your feelings or arranging for respite care may offer some relief.
If self-care techniques don't reduce your anxiety, your Lake Orion MI physician recommends states that you could benefit from:
- Psychotherapy: During psychotherapy, also called talk therapy, your therapist will help you change the way you react to stressors and alter the thought patterns that trigger anxiety. Your Lake Orion doctor can provide you with recommendations for local therapists.
- Medication: You may also benefit from medications that help control anxiety, such as anti-depressants, beta-blockers, and other prescription drugs.
Don't let anxiety take over your life! Call your Lake Orion MI family practice physician, Dr. Gorz of Neighborhood Primary Care at (248) 690-9181 to make an appointment.